Thursday, July 17, 2008

shawty wanna thug

Sorry for taking 2 weeks to update. Last week I worked 9+ hours a day, then last weekend I travelled to Tulsa for a friend's wedding and this week aside from work I've been tired. Alas, work is slow today and so I'm finally writing!

The family reunion cruise in honor of my mom's parent's 50th Wedding anniversary [June 28th - July 3rd] was fun. My favorite part was definitely when we docked in Progresso, Mexico (a small fishing village on the Yucatan peninsula). My mom and I went on an excursion with a wonderful tour guide to Dzibilchaltun, a site of Mayan ruins historians believe to be ceremonial grounds. The picture at the top is of the temple of the seven dolls, my favorite part of the site. While there, we also got see a church the Spanish had erected in the middle of what appeared to be the town square to save the Mayan souls. Another interesting thing is that on the site is a cenote (type of sinkhole containing groundwater) believed to have been used in honoring their Gods. I was even able to go swimming in it! After exploring the ruins we enjoyed amazing nachos and Mexican soda, which is also amazing, then we each bought purses made from the cesil plant.

The boat ride was a little bumpier than in the past and I was unimpressed with the evening shows (though I did enjoy one of the comedians). The food was good, my favorite being the lobster. Speaking of food...after waiting all day to get off the boat, go through customs and then ride the shuttle (with our luggage) to our car, we were famished. My parents, on the quest to educate us in fine dining, to my siblings and I to Mecca (the seafood restaurant Guidos on Galveston Island). The best way to end the trip! Another neat thing is that we came back to have a 3-day weekend. All in all it was fun to get away and see family.

There is not much to update about work other than I now have my own scanner and phone line. I have roughly a month left. Ideas on decorating my cubicle??

Last Friday, I drove to Sherman and stopped for Panda Express for some munchies where a cute guy working there totally checked me out. I went into a nearby Ross and bought a dress on sale for $15. Then I drove some more. Oh wait, then I went the wrong way on one of the crazy barren turnpikes in Oklahoma where my phone lost reception. Creepy. Finally after driving for an eternity I made to Meredith's apartment in Tulsa (She's one of the phi lambda chicks I run around with and she also loves Jim Gaffigan). Soon after I explored her SOPHISTICATED post-college pad more of our phi lambda pals showed up (Erin- loves pink and has a stellar fashion sense & Lauren- my favorite workout buddy of all time and former roommate from my sophomore year, she gets props for teaching me how to cook chicken and for introducing me to hummus). After some chit-chattin, the boys showed up: Drew (Houstonian who is dating Erin) and Eric (Drew's best friend) and we all went to hang out in the new hip part of Tulsa known as Brookside.

Saturday we arose and hit up Starbucks for the essentials before shopping at Forever 21 and then lunching. Fast forward a few hours and we (all dressed up, even the boys) walked into the Sanctuary of a nice church in Bartlesville, OK to watch one of our closest friends marry her high school sweetheart. Soon after we went to the reception and began the artful task of taking the cake apart. While serving cake is no walk in the park, it does put you first in line for food - a big plus. The most intense part of this evening occurred as we were heading back to Tulsa in a torrential downpour. Scenes from twister dashed before my eyes and I swear I thought there was going to be a tornado and there we were in Meredith's Mazda zoom zooming through the plains with nothing but a few cows in sight. Thankfully we made it back safely and hit up McNellies in downtown Tulsa to celebrate Meredith's birthday a few weeks late.

Sunday was a repeat of Friday for me with driving all day, but I didn't manage to hit up The Peanut Shoppe in Calera, OK and get some great snacks (you all know how I feel about snacks).

The Last Summer (of you and me) by Ann Brashears is a good read.

TV shows that I never miss: So You Think You Can Dance (yes, it really is THAT GOOD), Weeds and Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List

I think that covers the bases. Hopefully I will get better at updating and won't resort to the "and then I..." post again, lol.

3 comments:

mere... said...

i'm glad to hear my apartment is sophisticated! you are amazing katherine and i loved getting to spend time with you. keep in mind that my apt is only 1 hour and 40 minutes from norman and a great place to crash if you ever need a weekend away. just thought you should know...

emmy said...

i'm so glad to hear all the little details of your experiences. it makes me feel like i'm with you in a small way. i miss you, chatty k!

Samantha said...

Mary Kathy!!! You were in Tulsa and didn't call me!!! However, I am glad to hear that all is going well with you. Miss you kiddo.