Monday, July 28, 2008

JesusFreak Nation

Sunday morning my brother performed in a skit at church. (My family has been going to this church for the last four years. While they are all plugged in, I never hit it off well with the church and have assumed the role of regular visitor). My dad and I walked in about 12 minutes late and sat in two chairs placed at the very back of the center aisle. I mention this detail because they were two chairs that had been placed just for us and that we kind of stuck out. When you are assuming the role of a 'semi-invisible regular visitor' - the last thing you want is attention to be drawn to you.

The skit came on almost immediately after we came in. The youth performed a recently powerful skit that is set against the song "Everything" by Lifehouse. The purpose is to illustrate Christ's deep love for us despite our sinful ways, although I'm sure many interpretations can be made. Click here to watch the original video.

I was first introduced to this last Fall and had mixed feelings with it. I didn't dislike it but I didn't pass it on to anyone either. In the Spring, a girl in Phi Lamb played it for the chapter during her devo. When I saw how it captivated the entire room - I began to rethink why I had initially blown it off.

The skit is definitely something I would have been all up on had this been brought to light when I was in high school. I have always loved performing and was frequently in skits at church and camp. My 'white-suburban-teen-angst' (which lasted for too many years) also contributed to my interest in "deep" "poignant" "dramatic" productions. However, now that I've matured ever-so-slightly some of that poignancy makes me close my eyes and wince. The more you see of life's ugliness the less you want to glorify it.

While I do appreciate the heartfelt message behind this drama I can't help but play devil's advocate. I feel like so much of being a Christian in high school and to some extent college, relies on the "make you cry" aspect of the message...emotion.
Having a relationship with Christ is deep and dramatic but it's not constantly emotional. Yes, those "alter" moments can be powerful and important to us, but let us not forget the importance of a DAILY relationship. A daily dying to our sins and rising to fear Him with our everything.

So if the video stirred something in your heart, I'm glad. But don't let it be just that.

I'm not sure I articulated my self well on this. Please let me know what you think.

--Oh and yes, my brother was Jesus. ;)

2 comments:

Samantha said...

my question was answered in the last statement of your post. my love for you just seriously deepened.

Samantha said...

fyi as of tomorrow, you will have officially not posted in a month. and i will have you know that i want to know how that part of norman that the locals like to call "Katherine's life" is going. ps word on the street is that you're a CAC-er now?