I really enjoy the job I have this summer. I've begun to notice that it's because of one particular thing. Strangely enough it's not that I can leave my house at 7:58 and make it there by 8; not because I can wear jeans/t-shirt/flip-flops; not because of the ease with taking lunch breaks (I have a lot of unnecessary anxiety when it comes to office social norms like taking lunch breaks. I know it sounds silly. Last summer I ate lunch a lot in my car and think this is where it stems from. But I digress, lunch at my current job is stress free); not because of the skills I'm learning; not due to their flexibility in my schedule or even in the pay.
I like my job because I get to accomplish a lot by myself. I get a great sense of satisfaction as I finish a stack of work orders that needed to processed or file a bunch of invoices I updated. I like how tidy I keep my cubicle and that it's my space. I like working alone.
There I said it. I am that person who likes being in a cubicle from 8-4 working. I can check my email at times, and while it would be nice to have more free time- when I have stuff to do the time goes by faster and I feel justified for being there.
It has got me thinking, in college I've rambled on to many about my team work experience (on a variety of levels) and my hopes of working with people directly. I became attached to Marketing because I generally like taking pride in what I'm involved with and because it comes very easy to me. The real reason I began thinking about changing my major in the Spring of 07 was because of how much fun I had doing audience analysis on print advertisements. I am fascinated in getting into the target's mind and determining what kind of approach works or not, similar to how people in criminology think. With some exceptions, I prefer to work alone, or at least working alone and then coming together to contribute for a final output. I don't want to work in sales. I don't want to manage people who sell.
Perhaps it is the nature of my current job (or even the one I have at school), my inner introvertedness peaking or maybe just a change of pace. Who knows what I'll think this time next year.
A little over a month ago I wrote about how much I love people and how much pleasure I have in getting to know different people. This is still very true today, despite my current realization on my working preferences. The problem for me is that I like picking whom I'm going to love. I think in response to my outbursts of praise for His people for weeks this Spring, God has placed some challenging folks in my life for me to shower with love. This is probably for my internal growth. It has taken me awhile to pick up on this. The folks in question are not 'bad' nor do I not get along with them. They are just people with whom I haven't spent much time developing a Christ-centered relationship. This scenario mildly reminds me of Jonah who chose to follow his own instincts in reaching people for God, when he wasn't on the same page with what God wanted.
1 comment:
sara macintosh.
give her a listen.
Post a Comment