Cue scene: (Saturday, June 21st at my grandparent's house in Austin, 10:00 AM) After a staying up late chatting, I got to sleep in for the first time in weeks. I woke up in the guest room and stumbled into the kitchen where my first glance naturally was towards the coffee pot. Soon after my Grandmother came out and she too glanced at the machine. the barren machine. We both slowly turned our heads to sink where the coffee pot was residing. She immediately stormed to the den where Gib (the lovable East Texan my Grandmother married in 2001) was sipping the last of the coffee he had made for himself and reviewing one of his Spanish textbooks (for years he has been waking up at the crack of dawn to learn the Spanish language).
Grandma Connie: Gib, why is there no coffee ready for us?
Gib: Well good morning dahlin, we seem to have run out.
Grandma Connie: WHAT?! We RAN OUT of coffee and you didn't run to the store to get some for us?!?!?!
Gib (laughing): Oh dear (reaches out to embrace her)
Grandma Connie: NO hugs and kisses for you! I'm putting on my clothes and going up to get some coffee right this minute!
------- 1 hour later-----------(during this time I've showered and primped for the day)-------
Now in the kitchen, I pour myself a cup of strong coffee (Starbucks Espresso Roast- I think made with more than the reccommended scoops) that tastes great.
Now we see where I get it from! lol
Summer is a rockin and a rollin by!
There is this silly, upbeat part of me that has been very present lately. Instead of coming out as a way for me to relieve stress and exhaustion (i.e. swim dancing); I'm finding these frequent bursts of joy uplifting my spirits and making me smile grand. Evidence of this can be seen in my last few entries where I've rambled on and on about how WONDERFUL music makes me feel.
School ended 7 weeks ago, although it feels like it has been ages and yet gone by at the speed of sound. I can't believe I've been working for almost 6 weeks!?! It's interesting dealing with foreclosed properties. I see pictures of houses people have abandoned (What they didn't take, How sparingly they cleaned the bathroom). Let your mind wonder to the devotional that could come from this...
Mostly though I look through pictures of grass and select before and after cut pictures. There is lots upon lots of photo labeling done. My OCD (or CDO as I like it alphabetical) ness is back and thriving. I'm one cleaning machine. I'm finding enjoyment from filing and have my cubicle spotless. ;) It's different being surrounded by so few people each day.
I would describe my life this summer as positively content. Maybe because I survived in a persistent state of momentum last year or maybe because I've already used up my yearly allotment of dramatic soul searching...but the days go by and there is this calming simple-ness to my life right now. Work/Family/Houston Lovin.
My family is well. My brother attended an intense boy scout hiking trip in New Mexico for ten days and loved it. He's back now and thus our house has resumed it's hosting of numerous 15 year old boys. A few nights ago they had a milk chugging contest that resulted in puking. No of course I didn't watch. But I feel the need to share the stupidity of the acts high school boys partake in.
This last weekend, I went to Austin to visit my dad's mom and her second husband. Grandma Connie and Gib! I LOVED it!! We saw the 1987 Best Movie, Moonstruck, Saturday night. It was shown at a beautiful old theatre in downtown Austin. She then took me to a fancy restaurant for crab bisque, steak, red wine and dessert. :) :) I love my coffee addicted, butter loving, city girl Grandmother. We always have a blast together and hope you all get to meet her someday. She is something else! She perseveres through life's pitfalls with faith and spunk.
Tomorrow my family is boarding the long-waited boat to begin our cruise in celebration of my mom's parents 50th wedding anniversary. We will be in the Caribbean, visiting Progresso, Mexico and Cozumel. We come back on Thursday morning. I'M VERY EXCITED!!
Other news!!
-Got my hair cut. I LOVE it!
-My Mom and I had our nails done today for the trip. It had been years and now I feel girly. But I love 'em!
-Cole Porter is a musical genius.
-John Barrowman's autobiography is splendid.
-Ross is having a superb sale on women's athletic gear. I've crossed over and now LIVE in Nike running shorts. SO comfortable! Alas, I hope I spend more time working out in them!
1 comment:
I got the strangest sense of deja vu while reading this post. ;)
Post a Comment