Monday, October 13, 2008

Weekend Update

Yes lately I have been somewhat of a sour sally. This peaked last Thursday during rehearsal as I was filled with anger towards my band commitments and the OU/TX trip in general. After getting through an evening of night class and TBS meetings my mood changed and I decided if nothing else I should plan ahead. So late that night I packed everything and even loaded my car. This pro-activity made the entire trip really smooth. While there were some obvious unpleasantries (lack of sleep, busy schedule with little free time, the heat, the prices/lines at the fair, losing) I ended up having a great weekend. I was not mentioned in the Texas Paper (one of the two reading materials published by students that essentially pokes fun at people and sections in the band)-> the band festivities Friday night did not dissapoint with delicious coffee served at dinner and a ridiculous dance party where I definitely was the only senior out on the dance floor -> I marched well at half time (this is pertinent because I'm in the very front)-> There were no major logistical issues (->I helped coordinate all of the band sorority's tasks for the trip) and I got to catch up on tv and sleep on Sunday.

Almost every Monday I eat dinner in the cafeteria with some of my new freshman friends (a mixture of phi lamb and clarinet newbies). Tonight one of them asked me about my testimony. I shrugged and thought why not. So in the middle of the cafeteria surrounded by over-processed carbohydrates and people born in 1990 I talked about my life. I mentioned the facts: [ When we changed denominations, When I accepted Christ, My stint with rebellion in high school, The jerkass youth director who caused drama, College ups and downs, etc.] but I feel like it was a race to mention everything that happened and not the lessons I learned, the fears I've had, the ways in which Christ's has impacted my life. My on-the-spot life story was a monologue of "I did this.... and then this happened....and then I...". Shouldn't it be, "Christ put these people in my life and that impact changed my perspective on...Through this situation God taught me...etc." I barely touched on the feelings behind different acts or anything positive. Is our culture so focused on the pitfalls of this world that the only things that come to mind when we hear "testimony" are 'where have I sinned and what awful events have I endured'? This helped me to see that as believers we should always be at the ready to share what God has done in our life and that the simple fact-based chronological format is no bueno. Do you know what you would say?

1 comment:

acdossett said...

While I don't always know everything I would say, I do know that Christ put you (and Erin and Mere and Emily) in my life, and for that I was truly changed!