After days of over-the-counter aids and stifling an unruly cough I went to the doctor today. It seems I have again come down with a nasty sinus infection. I should note that before the appointment I met my mom at her office and she offered to take me anywhere to have lunch. Where we ended up is even immaterial because I didn't eat anything. In the dictionary under "Free-Meal-Mooch" you will find my name. Thus, we knew something was not right.
I was prescribed some medicine and given a shot. I made it home safely and collapsed into bed. Has anyone ever had a debilitating fever? When you can feel your pulse racing and your skin burning and yet every muscle in your body is completely exhausted? This afternoon I was so weak I could barely roll over or mumble a response when asked a question. I was able to eat a little for dinner and thankfully now feel a bit better. I really want to go out tomorrow and see more of the city I love so much. I don't want to be so drained with having to pack soon, drive and plug myself right back into school. I'm not ready to leave home. I know I never am, but I guess the end of this break has just kind of snuck up on me...
Being sick sucks. But oh how blessed I am! I have resources (insurance, people who take care of me and constantly seek to make me more comfortable) many people including friends of mine, do not have. I'm not going to turn this into a political rant, nor do I ever intend to make this blog a vessel for that. I do want to say that I appreciate now more than ever the privilege I have in being able to see a doctor.
Today I felt so helpless, being stuck in bed --- dazed and weak, yearning to be able to have the energy I'm used to. It hit me how wasteful it is to lie in bed for much of the day when not sick. I know we've all had days we would rather just curl up and not face the world, but once that opportunity is taken away, it's funny how fast one's opinion changes. lol
I'll be okay. Don't worry about me. I'll be back to my over-caffienated/joke-telling self in no time. Do take some time to remember that you will not always have all the abilities you have now. We need to use all we've got to serve Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment