Sunday, June 20, 2010

Renewed

It sure has been awhile. Since I last wrote, I successfully completed my first year of teaching without harming any children. ;) I really enjoyed teaching science and hope someday to return. This next year I'll be teaching 7th grade math double blocked (we have the kids for 2 hours) with a great guy who taught the kids math in 6th grade. We've already started planning and I got the okay for interactive notebooks, I'm a little too excited about that.

Summer began two weeks ago and I'm slowly remembering to be still and enjoy this time. When working on a new design for this blog I went read the post from 2 years ago that explains the title. "We suffer for Christ, yes, but this is not to be considered a burden, but a privilege. How deep He loves us so that He would spend so much time and energy crafty us individually! How preciously He handles us, as a parent holds a child! We are privileged to know Him, to seek Him, to grow so close to Him and fervently fear Him. We get to serve a God who is constantly serving us."

This year I was so caught up in work that I lost sight of the privillege I had been given. Throughout college and highschool I felt unsure about my future and didn't know what my "purpose" was. It was stressfull and unnerving. I heard a devo from the lovely Kat towards the end of my senior year in college that will always stick with me. She said that it is not about a specific purpose or path but the journey we're on with Christ. He will be with us and guide us wherever our paths take us. When I orignally applied to Teach for America I honestly was not doing so with God on my mind. I was desperate for a job where I didn't feel like I was taking advantage of anyone and where I could be closer to my family. Yet, He was with me through-out the application process and has used this as a means for ministry within me and through me. He gave me a passion for 7th graders and for the community in which I teach. I used to love the countless coffee and lunch dates that filled my social calendar in college. Now I love squeezing into a lunch table and hearing the latest scoop on what's in (skinny jeans, TAKIs, mechanical pencils) and what's not (having to actually think in school, TAKS prep, wearing a full sized backpack). I'm still learning and growing as a teacher and probabaly will for as long as I stay in the classroom. Speaking of which, I can see myself teaching for a lot longer than I ever imagined.

I've seen a trend with themed weekly posts. I haven't found one I'm particulary in love with yet. I am hoping to post more. This is where y'all can help me out. Please leave any topic suggestions for upcoming posts or any questions y'all would like answered.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

HOORAY!! I'm so glad you posted again. This should be a regular thing.